During the course of your graduate program of study, you will be introduced to many business disciplines requiring many types of insight and decisions. Listening to the words of many different people who speak the different languages of their discipline and their culture will be necessary. As we listen and make business decisions, our moral and ethical foundation must be preeminent. Developing a personal ethical statement is the first step in making ethical decisions.
Throughout this course, you will be working on the various components of your personal ethics framework. These pre-writing assessments and assignments will help you measure performance with respect to important ethical behaviors, skills, or concepts discussed throughout the course.
The ability to make ethical decisions that the increasing multi-cultural work environment requires is an important skill for the global manager. This assignment will help you identify behaviors and qualities that contribute to fairness in a diverse and global environment and will help you to identify the related behaviors you want as part of your ethical framework.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Evaluate one’s personal ethical standards and create a personal/professional framework to guide decision making compatible with a Christian world-view.
- Textbook: Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership
As noted in Chapter 11 of Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership, diversity in organizations should be promoted. Globalization is reality and our global culture is increasingly diverse. More than ever before, you are heading toward a business community that spans the globe, bringing many diverse groups along with it.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review Chapter 11 in Meeting the Ethical Challenge of Leadership.
- In your textbook, locate and complete (completed assessment will be used to answer 4.a and 4.b but will not be submitted as part of the assignment):
- Self-Assessment 11.1: Individualism/Collectivism Scale
- Self-Assessment 11.2: Moral Foundations Questionnaire
- With clear, insightful critical thinking, answer the following questions:
- According to your responses on the Individualism/Collectivism Scale (Self-Assessment 11.1), how individualistic or collectivistic are you and why? How does your orientation shape your behavior and ethical decision making in terms of fairness?
- According to responses on the Moral Foundations Questionnaire (Self-Assessment 11.2), how do your core values influence your perspective on ethical issues? How can you use this information to reach a common understanding with others of different political or cultural backgrounds?
- How does the concept of fairness impact a diverse organization operating within a global environment? Support your position with at least two references from scholarly sources.
- Compose your answers as a one to two-page paper in APA format using MS Word. For questions on APA Style, go to OCLS APA Writing Styles Guides. When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself (name your assignment “LastName_Ethics_Fairness”) and submit a copy to your instructor by the end of the workshop.
Please note that the sources you mention as a reference need to be cited in the body of the paper.