This examination is to test your knowledge and what you have learned from The Helping Process: Assessment to Termination. This is an individual assignment. Please do not work in groups. Please work alone. Please do not share your answers or thoughts with others in the class.
There are 30 short-answer questions, and each question is worth 5 points. Please answer in complete statements; using complete sentences, and paragraphs for each. Please identify the page numbers of which your answers were found.
1. Identify and describe the three parts of the assessment phase. Page # 3-7 Chapter 1
2. Why is documentation such an important piece of the helping process? Page # 11, Chapter 1
3. How is the strengths-based approach used in the assessment phase? Provide an example. Page # 12, Chapter 1
4. Why motivational interviewing is considered a valuable interviewing strategy? Page #15, Chapter 1
5. Compare structured and unstructured interviews. What are the pros and cons of each? Page #25- 26 , Chapter 2
6. What is the definition of confidentiality, and how does it relate to the assessment phase? Page # 26, Chapter 2
7. When evaluating a client’s application for services, how does a case manager determine eligibility? Page # 28, Chapter 2
8. Explain the concept of listening during the intake interview. Why is it important for an intake interview to be effective? Page # 67 Chapter 2,
9. What are the five methods of responding? Provide a brief example of each. Page # 82-83 chapter 4
10.Choose an interviewing pitfall. Why can the pitfall hurt the interview? Page #85 Chapter 4,
11.How would you describe plan development? Why it is important? Provide a brief example. Page # 111, Chapter 6
12.What challenges do new case managers have when trying to establish information and referral systems? How can they meet those challenges? Page # 118, Chapter 6
13.What are the advantages of a case manager keeping a feedback log? Page # 118, Chapter 6
14.Describe the halo effect. How can a case manager prevent this from occurring? Page # 121, Chapter
15.What are the differences between an achievement test and an aptitude test? Page #123, Chapter 6
16.What is the importance of client input during the planning process? Page # 144, Chapter 7
17.How can medical exams and medical consultations help a case manager provide services to a client? Page # 153 Chapter 8,
18.What are the five axes of the DSM-IV-TR®? Briefly describe each Page #157-159 Chapter,
19. What are the advantages and limitations of a client’s social history report? Chapter 8 pg 164,
20. What are the five models of mental illness? Provide a brief definition of each. Chapter 9, pg 186
21. What is the importance of a referral when coordinating services? Chapter 10, pg 197
22. How would you define resource selection? Chapter 10, pg 195
23. To work effectively with other professionals, what skills does a case manager need? Chapter 10, pg197
24. How would you define the roles of a broker and a mobilizer during the referral process? Chapter 10 pg 199
25. What is the importance of monitoring and reviewing services? Chapter 10, pg 200
26. How does a case manager evaluate client progress once services have been set into motion? Chapter 10, pg 201
27. How would you describe the four phases of behavior change? (pp. 206–208) Chapter 11.
28. According to the textbook, what are the three roles of a helping professional? Chapter 11 pg 209-212.
29. Why is feedback important when evaluating direct services? Chapter 11, pg 214
30. What are three strategies case managers can use to determine whether a client is ready to terminate services? Chapter 11, pg 215