Initial discussion postings should be a minimum of 250 words.
Responses to each question should draw on key concepts you have learned during the week’s reading, and to a lesser extent, your personal experience and opinions. You are welcome to incorporate relevant supplemental material (i.e. a news item, website, youtube video, etc.)
NOTE: Anytime you use someone else’s ideas (i.e. a definition from the text or paraphrasing), you MUST use APA style citations.
See Appendix A in the syllabus for the grading scale.
What are some of the main claims of critical theorists about popular culture and the media? How does critical theory explain racial and ethnic stereotyping? How/why is stereotyping harmful? Please provide specific examples of racial/ ethnic stereotyping. Post one item of relevant supplemental material.
The Week 3 Forum meets the following course objectives:
· Describe examples of the different types of norms operative in popular culture, and how these are related to the process of social control.
· Identify the research methods used to create knowledge about popular culture.
· Apply key cultural theories and analytical dimensions for examining popular culture.
· Illustrate diversity in popular culture and concepts of multiculturalism, ethnocentrism, and cultural relativism with reference to key stratifying factors such as gender, race, ethnicity, class, age, region and sexuality.
· Analyze culture within individual, social, historical, political, economic, and global contexts.