For many Americans, morning is the time at which they are exposed to the most toxins, and morning is the time at which they consume the most products that may be harmful to other people, animal, and the environment. This assignment is an opportunity for you to learn about one grooming/hygiene product you use while you get ready for your day.
Choose a grooming or hygiene product that you use daily, or almost daily, as you “get ready” for work or school. It should be a product about which you have little knowledge; it can be anything from your toothpaste to your shampoo to your lipstick. Now do extensive research on that product. Your research should include the following findings:
- The specific name/brand of the specific product you are researching
- The ingredients of the product,
- Any potential harm those ingredients may cause to you, or to the environment (use the skills you acquired on generalizations from samples to causal studies to help interpret the findings…actually discuss the studies that “prove” that the ingredient is harmful in some way),
- Where the ingredients are acquired and any potential environmental or human damage the acquisition of those ingredients may cause (so feel free to discuss human rights issues that you think are relevant)
- Any potential harm the actual manufacturing of the product may cause, from the people who make the product, to the waste products from the factory,
- Any other information you find useful for the purposes of this assignment.
The goal of this assignment is for you to become better informed about the impact a small action can have on the world, and be more aware of how you affect the world around you. Your essay should prove why the product is bad or harmful in some way, so you are essentially presenting an argument based on the findings of your research.
The essay must be at least 1000 words in length, not exceeding 2000 words by too much.