Parent Literacy Presentation
As early childhood educators, it is our responsibility to assist parents in encouraging the development of literacy in their children. As mentioned in Section 5.1 of the text, one way to do this is by providing resources to our parents on how they can foster literacy at home (Coats, 2013). For this assignment, create a PowerPoint presentation that includes the following:
- A title slide
- At least three slides that discuss the importance of reading to young children
- At least two slides that identify and discuss resources for story/music time
- At least two slides that discuss how to decide what types of books are appropriate for young learners
- At least three slides with suggested titles of books that will benefit each type of literacy and an explanation of why these books will benefit each type of literacy
- A reference slide
- At least five graphics/images
Each slide should be designed to clearly and concisely address the material. The PowerPoint presentation must be at least 10 slides in length, not including title and reference slides, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. The notes section of the PowerPoint must be utilized to expand on your presented points. The notes section should also include any additional information necessary to explain or show the student’s point of view. You must use at least one scholarly source in addition to your textbook to support the ideas you are sharing in your presentation.
Take a moment to view the Parent Literacy Presentation Guidance below, or click here for the written transcript.