Chapter 3 – study questions 1-8, Exercise 2
Chapter 4 – study questions 1-13, Exercise 5
(Information Systems for Business and Beyond)
- Develop your own definition of software being certain to explain the key terms.
- What are the primary functions of an operating system?
- Which of the following are operating systems and which are applications: Microsoft Excel, Google Chrome, iTunes, Windows, Android, Angry Birds.
- What is your favorite software application? What tasks does it help you accomplish?
- How would you categorize the software that runs on mobile devices? Break down these apps into at least three basic categories and give an example of each.
- What does an ERP system do?
- What is open-source software? How does it differ from closed-source software? Give an example of each.
- What does a software license grant to the purchaser of the software?Excercise
you were running a small business with limited funds for information technology, would you consider using cloud computing? Find some web-based resources that support your decision.
- What is the difference between data, information, and knowledge?
- Explain in your own words how the data component relates to the hardware and software components of information systems.
- What is the difference between quantitative data and qualitative data? In what situations could the number 42 be considered qualitative data?
- What are the characteristics of a relational database?
- When would using a personal DBMS make sense?
- What is the difference between a spreadsheet and a database? List three differences between them.
- Describe what the term normalization means.
- Why is it important to define the data type of a field when designing a relational database?
- Name a database you interact with frequently. What would some of the field names be?
- What is metadata?
- Name three advantages of using a data warehouse.
- What is data mining?
- In your own words, explain the difference between supervised learning and unsupervised learning. Give an example of each (not from the book).
Do some original research and find two examples of data mining. Summarize each example and then write about what the two examples have in common.
Text Book URL: https://opentextbook.site/informationsystems2019/