Write 3–5 pages in which you describe a nursing informatics best practices policy for effective and safe data use in a nursing practice setting or organization.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Identify strategies and best practices for using informatics in nursing and health care.
- Describe the best practices needed to promote and support data security.
- Describe the ethical standards needed to promote patient confidentiality.
- Describe regulatory requirements that promote and support positive patient outcomes related to a specific population.
- Describe the types of behaviors and skills nurse leaders need to guide the use of information technology and research for improved patient-care outcomes.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- How do nurses develop best practice?
- How does research support best practice?
- What are best practices in your organization that you think are exemplars for improving patient care?
- What nursing roles should be in place to support the use of evidenced-based practice?
- How would you describe the concept of meaningful use and technology adoption stages: electronic health records (EHR) incentive programs, and how does this fit within the context of best practice?
- What are the main points to consider as you review The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and why is this best practice?
- How does the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act (PSQIA) support patient safety and improved patient outcomes?