- Describe the structure of a triglyceride. What is a free fatty acid? A monoglyceride? Diglyceride?
- What would make a fatty acid bent? Straight?
- Describe what a saturated fatty acid is.
- Describe what happens when there is a double bond in the carbon chain of a fatty acid.
- What kinds of fatty acids are solid at room temp? liquid?
- What is a trans fat and how is it made?
- What are the health risks associated with trans fats?
- What are food sources of trans fats? Saturated fats? Unsaturated fats? Essential fatty acids?
- What are the 5 functions of triglycerides discussed? Describe each.
- How many calories is found in 1 gram of lipid? How does this compare to proteins and carbohydrates? What is the advantage of this?
- What is the RDA for trans, saturated and unsaturated fats? Fats overall? What foods could you focus on to enable you to reach this RDA?
- What type of activity do fats supply fuel for? What tissues/organs rely solely on carbs for?
- Trace the digestion of lipids. Name the organ and then explain what enzymes occur there and any other important information.
- Describe how fats are absorbed and then moved in the blood. Where do they go from the small intestine?
- Name the 4 kinds of lipoproteins. What is the main function of each. Where is each made?
- How do triglycerides and cholesterol lead to heart disease?
- What is atherosclerosis and what is its effect on blood pressure? Explain.
- What is the nutritional treatment for atherosclerosis? Hypertension? Coronary Artery Disease?
- Should you buy a product that has reduced fat? Why or why not:
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeDescription of criterion
Total Points: 10.0