Scenario: Imagine that you work for an organization that has entered into the grievance process with a number of employees who dispute the recent disciplinary action taken against them. As the labor relations manager, it is your role to prepare the necessary documents, schedule the meetings, and notify the appropriate staff and union officials about the upcoming process. Ultimately, this process will encompass the first four (4) steps of a typical grievance process.
Write a five to seven (12-15 slides) Power Point Presentation – Dr. Vic: YOU MUST USE POWER POINT, it is available to all Strayer students, call Strayer Tech support early this week if you need to install it or need assistance. It is up to you to do this assignment correctly formatted. Get started early this week if you need assistance.
**Create a twelve to fifteen (12-15) slide PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Outline the four (4) steps of the grievance process. (Tips: recall from ch. 10 of our Labor Relations Process textbook, the four steps of the grievance process, p.p. 508-513 – list these steps and in your own words discuss and describe them in a way where, someone who is not familiar with them will understand the flow and meaning of these steps [This can be as many as five slides, and at least one for each step]).
- Prepare a slide that designates the responsibilities of each party involved. (Tips: Here describe that first potential party to be in this process as identified on the middle of page 512 – list and describe that person. Then, if that person is not used, on page 601, the most common form of grievance process is identified, please list and define that process and also list and discuss – in your own words, the powers and duties of that person from the middle of page 602. Then, based on your knowledge from Chs. 10 and 12 discuss other potential parties, you [from the scenario above], the employee(s), company representatives, union representatives, et. al. [This might be 3-4 slides]).
- Determine the main employment laws that may govern this action. (Tips, the entirety of Ch. 12 has good info on various laws and concepts associated with employee discipline, including: the concept of ‘at will’ employment, the principle of ‘Just Cause’ discipline/termination, and also from p. 624, the ‘due process’ requirement and the Labor Relations Act – from Ch. 3. Make sure you discuss all of this – and more that is appropriate, within your power point [This might also be 3-4 slides]).
- Recommend one (1) outcome for the situation and predict the ethical implications for your decision. (Tips: recall from the scenario above that you are the Labor Relations manager for a company, with that in mind, recommend an outcome that is fair and equitable for all parties. It is very likely that a company will in fact ask their labor manager for recommendations like this along the process. Finally predict the ethical implications for parties involved from your recommendation [This might be 3-4 slides]).
- Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not qualify as an academic resource. (Tips: no tips here, just make sure you reach this requirement for five references – our text textbooks will be fine to add here if you used them. Stay away from Wiki sites!
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Format the PowerPoint presentation with headings on each slide and three to four (3-4) relevant graphics (photographs, graphs, clip art, etc.), ensuring that the presentation is visually appealing and readable from 18 feet away. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a title slide containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The title slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Follow these directions for submitting the PowerPoint:
- Submit your PowerPoint using the submission link above.