Focusing on your assigned determinant of health, provide a specific example of when the government did or did not protect the public. Be sure to provide a brief summary of this incident.
In response to your peers, ask a critical thought question (see Module 1 for definition) to help you determine if the government has the responsibility to provide services to address this determinant. The question should incorporate your interpretation of the Constitution and the United States Supreme Court rulings or dissents in DeShaney. Be specific as to where you are generating your position. You should reference clauses or amendments. You should also provide supporting comments from the rulings or dissents.
As a class, we should try to ask each of our peers at least one question. Please try to answer all the questions regarding your initial posts as well.
For this discussion:
- Initial post: 350 words
5. Discuss the means by which structural bias, social inequities, and racism undermine health and create challenges to achieving health equity at organizational, community, and societal levels.
7. Apply awareness of cultural values and practices to the design or implementation of public health policies or programs.
11. Discuss multiple dimensions of the policy-making process, including the roles of ethics and evidence.
13. Advocate for political, social, or economic policies and programs that will improve health in diverse populations.
1. Critique how personal/judicial interpretation influences public health.
2. Explore the concept of Negative Constitution.
3. Examine how the judicial branch can modify the implementation of a policy.
4. Discuss how policy can impact social determinants of health.
Core Professional Attributes:
1. ATSU: Social Responsibility
2. ATSU: Critical Thinking