This assignment requires thought about a public policy that is needed or needs to be changed that relates to nursing, healthcare, and/or the public. Policy changes can occur by working with members of your legislature, and state or national nurses associations, to introduce a new bill and/or change to a current law in your state or federal government.
Examples of public policy includes any component of the current legislation governing health care, Medicare part D, Medicaid, nursing regulation, medication technicians, etc.
In 750-1000 words, propose a health policy change (that is currently a bill, a law, or may not exist at all) at the state or federal level that you believe needs to change and why.
- The policy must NOT be a clinical care policy for individual care. The policy involved may include public or community health, legislative or regulatory, professional organization (nursing-oriented), advanced nursing practice, health plan, or hospital plan.
- Include a specific section for the exact wording for the bill or change in wording of the law.
- Include the plan for the implementation of your policy development, to lobbying for passage, to next steps after passage.
- Discuss who would be the champion for the bill/law change from your state advocates (legislators, federal legislators, local or national state nursing organizations). Are these individuals also influential in making changes occur? Did you vote for the individual in office that you want to help you make this change?
- Review different pieces of legislation for ideas on wording.
- Visit your state’s legislative governmental affairs website site to understand the process your policy change could take if you wanted to introduce to into legislation.
- Refer to the Nursing Leadership Health Policy Presentation Rubric.
- Submit the assignment to the instructor by the end of Topic 2.