Review the following existing national health education campaigns and examine the traits of professionalism within the health education field.
- Let’s Move Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (https://letsmove.obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/)
- The Heart Truth Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/hearttruth/about/index.htm)
- We Can! Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/)
- Go4Life Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (https://go4life.nia.nih.gov/)
- College AIM (Alcohol Intervention Matrix) Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/CollegeAIM/Default.aspx)
- Media-Smart Youth Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sites/default/files/publications/pubs/Documents/MSY_GuideforTrainingProgramFacilitators_2013.pdf)
- It’s a Noisy Planet: Protect Their Hearing Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/)
- REAL Massage Campaign (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (http://amta-wa.org/?page=real_overview)
- Opioid misuse in Rural America (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (https://www.usda.gov/topics/opioids)
For this discussion, you have been asked to create a short three-to five-minute presentation for the next city council meeting in your community to launch one of these campaigns. The goal of your presentation is to get the council to approve it, spend the money to implement it, and track its progress. You must apply traits of professionalism as you present your case to council.
You can use Jing (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., Screencast-o-Matic (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., YouTube (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., or any alternative software program to create this presentation. The video can be you speaking to the camera and presenting it live to city council or a PowerPoint presentation with audio (or a screencast of your presentation). Remember, both require that you utilize leadership skills and traits of professionalism that you must possess for giving presentations as a health educator; thus, lounging on the couch in your pajamas is not appropriate for your video, and you will be given a zero on the discussion. Some characteristics that you may consider incorporating include humor, storytelling, facts only, pace, and volume. Let your campaign topic and creativity guide your decision on what to do.
To begin your presentation, fully research one of the campaigns listed above and determine what you will need to do to convince council to jump on your idea. You are only allowed to present your case for up to five minutes, so you will need to be clear and precise in your remarks.
Some of the areas to address in your presentation include
- A description of the campaign you selected.
- The campaign’s importance.
- The campaign’s relevancy to your community (e.g. why ask for a children’s health program when your city’s population comprises mostly senior citizens?).
- An explanation of costs.
- An explanation of why it’s worth the cost.
- A plea to get a nod of approval from council to begin.
Once you have completed your presentation, copy and paste the URL link to your screencast or video in your discussion forum response section. Your presentation must utilize at least two scholarly sources, in addition to your textbook. The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. Sources must be cited according to 6th edition APA format as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center in the In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and In-Text Citation Helper (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. video. Please be sure to view the Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. tutorial for more information on the Ashford University Library, the research process, and library search tips.
Due to the short time limit of your presentation, you do not need to include a reference slide within the PowerPoint itself; however, you are required to include your APA References List (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. within the discussion post along with your screencast URL link. If you are presenting a live video, please do the same and list your references in the discussion box with the URL link.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ presentations/videos. Imagine you are a member of that community’s city council. Provide a substantive response to at least two of your peers commenting on the following:
- Explain how their presentation was or was not effective, pointing out at least four specific elements in your explanation (e.g. tone of voice, formal dress (if video), clear message, etc. Refer to Chapter 8 of your textbook for more details).
Note: Do not focus on content here; this is about their presentation skills.
- Indicate whether you did or did not receive enough information on the campaign to understand it. Then, describe at least one element that could have been added to improve the presentation. That element could be content-related or presentation skills focused. (Please do not just say the presentation was great and nothing should be added. No presentation is ever 100%. Use your critical thinking skills and examine a way in which the presentation could be improved.)
- If they asked for approval of their proposal, explain why you would vote for or against it (If they did not ask for approval in the presentation, please note that in your response and do not cast a vote).