Due in 15hrs
In this third week, we are discussing the human socialization process and how it influences our psychosocial development. After you have read the reading assignment and lecture for the week, please respond to all parts of the discussion by the due date assigned:
- Compare and contrast George Herbert Mead’s and Charles Horton Cooley’s theories of human development. Why are these theories part of the symbolic interactionist paradigm?
- List and describe the key agents of socialization. How did each agent shape and influence your life? Which of these agents has been the most important in your life?
- Look in the South University Online library and the Internet for information on “Feral Children.” Define feral children and explain why sociologists use feral children to support their arguments of the importance of socialization.
Due June 1, 2020
Using the textbook and the South University Online Library, write a 1000-word (minimum) paper. Refer to the APA resources found in the course home page, and thoroughly address each of the following questions:
Families have changed greatly over the past 60 years, and they continue to become more diverse.
- Why is the family considered the most important agent of socialization?
- What caused the dramatic changes to the American family? What are those changes?
- Describe the differences in marriage and family life that are linked to class, race, gender, and personal choice.
- Do you feel the trend toward diverse families is positive or negative?
- If the trend changed toward traditional (pre-World War II) families, how would that affect women’s rights?