- Part I
Use the link below or other resources to answer the following questions.
- What does HIPAA stand for?
- Summarize a major goal of the privacy rule.
- What is the HIPAA Security Rule, and why is it important?
- What is a covered entity?
- Who is covered under the Privacy Rule?
- List and describe protected health information and individually identifiable health information.
- Describe the major purpose of the privacy rule.
- When can a covered entity disclose or use protected health information?
- What does TPO stand for?
- List other situations in which a covered entity may disclose protective health information without a patients’ consent and to whom?
- Describe the privacy practice notice.
- What are the penalties and repercussions for individuals who violate a patient’s confidentiality?
Now answer the following questions:
- What is a mandated reporter? Who are considered mandated reporters?
- What specifically does confidentiality mean?
- What are the consequences for healthcare workers if they release patients’ health information without their consent?