For this project select two speeches by candidates who are running for President of the United States in 2020. Select one Republican and one Democrat from the following lists.
Former Vice President Joe Biden
Former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg
Former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg
Hawaii Representative Tulsi Gabbard
Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar
Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders
Investor Tom Steyer
Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren
Entrepreneur Andrew Yang
Begin with a mission statement, using metadiscourse to explain your project’s goals from start to finish.
Provide some context on each politician and their speech. Construct a brief account of their argument for academic readers who are unfamiliar with these texts. Use the rhetorical précis as a guide.
Select several paragraphs by each politician, and analyze the claims they made, the rhetorical appeals and strategies they used, and which specific voters they targeted.
Evaluate the politicians’ use of rhetorical appeals and strategies. Critique how effectively you think they engaged voters.
Using what you learned from these two politicians/writers, propose an explanation of how you think politicians running for President of the United States should use rhetoric more effectively to engage voters.
Write a 3-5 page essay in which you achieve the goals of this project.
How to Structure This Project
- Introduction: Using metadiscourse, explain your project’s goals from start to finish in a mission statement.
- Provide context for the politicians and their speeches. Introduce the politicians, their speeches, and their arguments, using the rhetorical précis as a guide.
- Analyze how each politician made claims, used rhetorical appeals and strategies, and targeted voters.
- Evaluate how each politician used rhetoric. Critique how effectively they engaged voters.
- Conclusion: Propose an explanation. Explain how you think politicians running for President of the United States should use rhetoric more effectively to engage voters.
- Works Cited: Cite publishing information for any sources you cited within your project.