Write a 350 – 700 word essay, citing at least one reference, based on the case and questions below.
A Tampa surgeon, Dr. Floyd Legatron, mistakenly removed the wrong leg of 52-year-old Jameson Kingsmith during an amputation procedure in June of 2009. Apparently, a chain of errors led to the mishap, and the surgical team even realized their error halfway into surgery, but by that time it was too late, and the leg had to be removed.
You have the case details above. Answer the following ethical questions based on what you’ve learned applying the Seven-Step Decision Model. Be sure to answer the following:
- Define the precise ethical issue. Is it a matter of fairness, justice, morality or rights? Or is it a combination of ethical issues?
- Identify the major principles. Is it a matter of integrity, quality, respect for others or profit?
- Specify the alternatives. What course(s) of action do you believe should occur?
- Compare values and alternatives. What do you believe is the best course of action?
- Assess the consequences for the patient, the doctor, and the organization. Identify short-term and long term consequences.