Part one: To prepare for this Spark Discussion: Unequal Opportunity Race
- Watch the short animation, Unequal Opportunity Race, in this week’s Learning Resources, which illustrates some reasons for racial inequalities.
Aapfvideo. (2010). Unequal Opportunity Race [Video File]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBb5TgOXgNY
Post an explanation of your thoughts about the inequality issues raised in the video. How do you think these issues can be resolved?
Part two: To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Readings 32 and 37 in the course text. Pay particular attention to affirmative action.
- Use the key terms affirmative action and higher education to locate scholarly articles available in the PsycINFO database in the Walden University library. Select an article that reports on a research study having to do with affirmative action in higher education that focuses on at least one psychological construct (such as attitudes and perceptions). Do not select any articles from law journals as you are not examining the legal aspects of affirmative action; instead you are examining psychological aspects about this issue.
- Think about the psychological construct(s) that the study addresses and its relationship to affirmative action.
- Consider the impact that the results of the study may have on inequality in higher education.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a brief summary of the article that you selected, including a description of the setting of the study, the study participants, and a short summary of the findings. Explain whether the constructs of attitudes, perceptions, or beliefs about racial and ethnic identities were supported and how do you think this will impact affirmative action practices? Finally, analyze the impact the results of the study may have on affirmative action in higher education.
Part three: To prepare for this Assignment: Aversive Racism and Inequality in Health Care
- Review the Section III, “Framework Essay,” and Reading 31 in the course text. Pay particular attention to aversive racism and health care access.
- Review the article, “Psychiatrists’ Attitudes Toward and Awareness About Racial Disparities in Mental Health Care,” and focus on methods for reducing aversive racism.
- Take the Race Implicit Bias test at the Project Implicit website.
- Identify two examples of racial or ethnic inequality in health care in the United States.
- Think about how aversive racism contributes to the examples that you identified.
- Consider methods for reducing aversive racism in your examples.
Mallinger, J. B., & Lamberti, J. S. (2010). Psychiatrists’ attitudes toward and awareness about racial disparities in mental health care. Psychiatric Services, 61(2), 173–179. doi:10.1176/appi.ps.61.2.173
The 3 to 4 pages Assignment for part three is:
- Describe two examples of racial or ethnic inequality in health care in the United States.
- Explain how aversive racism contributes to the inequality illustrated in the examples (and thus in health care) you described.
- Explain methods for reducing aversive racism in your examples. Be specific and provide examples to support your explanation.
- Discuss how implicit bias might impact health care in the United States.